Tuesday 31 May 2011

Perhaps I chose the right time to trade up?

Over the long weekend I ventured out with son#2 for a Monday morning ride to keep the legs turning ahead of Sweden. I was one my swanky new bike and he was on my old best bike. On the final climb home he complained that the back wheel had skipped out and sure enough when we got home the wheel was lodged in the back brakes thanks to a distinct bend. I had a bit of a tinker and trued it up a bit but concluded it was one for the bike shop.
The mechanic down at Pearsons confirmed that ( although I had done a good job of straightening it out) the wheel was going to be tricky to handle as the spoke nipples were seized. This meant when they were tightened they could ping back and slacken off again. Not something you would want happening on a 300km ride.
And the moral of today's story is: If there is anything you have concerns about on your bike perhaps it's best to start thinking about it now!!

No comments: