Tuesday 3 May 2011

Fit for a king?

There are so many things wrong with that title. After a long period of over indulgence I'm not feeling too fit and I'm definitely not a king.
What I do have is a Palace!

After my run in with a pothole in Epsom ( see earlier post) I decided enough was enough and the Editor of Optician deserved a decent bike.

So I went to my local bike shop and splashed out on a Pearson Palace. It is even better than the picture shows as I had my Mavic Ksyrium wheels put on it. With 300km in Sweden looming with the rest of the Transitions' team I think I need all the help I can get.

Early indications are good although on my major ride of the weekend my middle son snaffled the Palalce and I had to make do with my blue Pearson Audax.
The youngster still couldn't beat the old man though. He even wanted to switch bikes towards the end of the ride as we had a massive hill approaching and I 'had more gears'.

I also managed a quick cycle up Box Hill while Kate Middleton was becoming the Duchess of Cambridge. The roads were clear, the sky blue and the bike carbon. It doesn't get any better than that.
One amusing recreation of history was on the royal wedding day. Back when Charles and Di got married I decided I couldn't face hours of royal telly so I got on my bike and cycled around the lanes that crisscross the Tiverton canal.
I obviously wasn't a boy scout ( perhaps youthful optimism) but I didn't have a puncture kit with me and yes,..... I got a puncture.
Pushing the bike home wasn't too bad, the roads were quiet and I could listen to the birds and still avoid the wedding. But then, as I crossed the canal at Halberton I could hear the roar of the crowd. Just on the other side was a guy in a deckchair, sat in a layby outside his caravan watching the royal wedding. Obviously an early adopter of mobile technology.

No comments: