Friday 13 August 2010

Nigel's Story




My first impression of the ADH climb was on an early recce of the first few corners with James, where I was struck by the sheer scale and relentlessness of the road ahead of me. Driving up to the top the next day confirmed what I already knew: it was going to be a very hard day.
I was feeling slightly apprehensive right up to the final preparations, and was actually glad when we got into the water and set off. I found the water temperature more easily bearable in my wetsuit than expected. The first few minutes of the swim were very physical and aggressive as swimmers fought for space. I was happy to follow the crowds as I tried to settle into some sort of rhythm, unsure where the swim course actually led. I was aware of a helicopter hovering just overhead, and the spectacular setting, but little else other than my fellow competitors until I finally saw the exit chute and prepared for T1.
As I reached my bike, and made my fumbling switch from swimming to cycling gear as quickly as possible I was aware of a local television camera filming me at close range which didn’t help my concentration at all. The first few miles of the bike course were a pleasant gentle descent which the early morning sun made warmer than expected. I was caught up by Lyndon just before the base of the first climb Col du Grande Serre. I had planned to use as little energy as possible on this first of three climbs, but even in my lowest gear my legs were soon feeling the pain of every turn. I was shocked by the gradient and length to the summit. There were few spectators at this point, but I found an excellent atmosphere was developing between competitors exchanging words of encouragement.
There was a long way from the top of the first climb to the second climb, which had several unmarked climbs to sap what was left of the strength in my legs. As the temperature rose, I tried to eat and drink as much as possible, but found I couldn’t digest as much as I knew I needed to eat to fuel myself to the end. Thankfully the second climb, Col d’Ornon didn’t seem to be anywhere near as hard as the other two. It was very long, and exposed to the sun, but the more gentle gradient made it a far easier experience than I had feared.
Descending at speeds of around 45mph quickly brought me to the bottom of the big ADH climb. As I set off up the gradient I had been on the bike for 4 hours and my legs which were already giving me constant pain began quivering as well. I resolved to keep going whatever happened, alternating between seated and standing positions to keep the pedals turning. Occasional shade from trees at the side of the road and drinking as much as possible gave some relief from the now scorching sun, and support from spectators and fellow competitors was fantastic.
I eventually reached T2 feeling in no fit state to run a half marathon, but pulled on my running shoes and set off at a gentle jogging pace. Soon the rough and hilly terrain had me realising I would have to walk some of the way. For the rest of the run I alternated between running as far as I could, then walking as fast I could. I set myself the target of completing the run in under 2 hours, which I just managed, encouraged by seeing Lisa, my family, then Chris on the way. I was elated to finally reach the finish where I had an emotional reunion with my wife and daughter, before joining the waiting Lyndon on the very inviting deckchairs just after the finish line.
Two days later I had recovered enough to have one more impromptu ride up the road to ADH. For me this was one of the highlights of the week: no crowds, no timing, no pressure, just the opportunity to enjoy one of cycling's most iconic climbs for its own sake.

No comments: