Friday 13 August 2010

Lisa's story


After driving through France for 10 hours and reaching the foot of the alps near Grenoble I saw my first glimpse of Alp D'Huez, the mountain was so high that the top was not visible through the clouds!

On reaching the foot of the mountain I realised the enormity of the task ahead, it was like looking at a brick face to infinity. Driving the first 3 bends and seeing a 10-14% gradient made me question how anyone could cycle this! I had trained hard at home, on the welsh hills but nothing can prepare you for this, mentally or physically. It felt like I had turned up for an exam without revising!

Each bend was marked clearly, counting down from 21 to 1 and driving these bends you being to understand the history of mountain with Tour De France markings and famous cyclists having their names etched on the side of the road. It was the Mecca of the cycling world.

Next morning I decided to face my demons and cycle the first 4 bends which boast the hardest gradient. After 200m with my heart rate up to 170 I realised that speed was not important but rhythm and controlling lactic acid build up was going to be the key, in theory!

On the morning of the race I arrived at the swim and the atmosphere was tense among the 1200 competitors taking up this challenge. I could see looking around that this was hardcore triathlon country.
Waiting for the swim start was interesting to say the least with everyone pushing for position and a helicopter hovering 20m above our heads.

Swimming is my strongest discipline so I wanted to get a good start. I did this, although the European triathletes are rather rough in the water to say the least. On the bike I had a good ride to the mountain and on reaching the foot of Alp D'Huez there was a carnival atmosphere with music playing and horns blowing and lots of people shouting encouragement. I slowed my pace, as did everyone, and braced myself! The first 4 bends went well helped greatly by the support on the way and I got into a rhythm.
Completing each bend give you a massive sense of achievement, by half way I began to believe I could achieve my goal to cycle this mountain without putting my feet down, I felt an inner euphoria even though I knew there was a long way to go. By 3/4 of the way up the mountain and 10km of mountain ridden I had no feeling in my legs. I had gone from pain to numbness, but support from fellow triathletes and spectators kept me going. I reached the final bend after 90 minutes of climbing, Rob, my husband, was on this bend and I could see the delight on his face that I had made it. I made him run alongside me for 50m which was a test of his cardiac strength! Onwards I went to the historic finish, I couldn't believe I had got to the top of my nemesis.
The run leg was okay although hilly and at altitude the finish was in sight.
200m to go to the finish a Frenchman tried to overtake me, we had a sprint for the line and I won!
On reflection this triathlon was my biggest sporting achievement, not on a position or time basis but to take yourself so much out of your comfort zone that you really don't know what the outcome is going to be, but then then to achieve what you only dream you could accomplish gives you a sense of euphoria that is difficult to describe.

I will pass the experience of this optician triathlon to my children, that dream the impossible and believe in yourself and anything is possible.

No comments: