Monday 9 August 2010

How was it for you?


While I am waiting for the team to report back on their race I thought I would fill you in, as it were, on my experiences.
We all knew this was going to be a special one and that really hit home when we saw the mountain and took a pedal up the first few steep turns. The sheer scale of the mountain takes your breath away, literally. As the team gathered ahead of the race there was clear apprehension about the task ahead.
The arrangements for the event helped in taking our minds off of the day as we decided the best way of getting to the start on the morning of the race without driving. The orgainsers were suggesting cycling ( with all of your kit) from the finish at Alpe d'Huez. In the end we decided as a group and Lisa and Rob, the unofficial sixth team member, Evans provided the bulk of the transport.

the swim was manic. I simply could understand
A- why everyone thought the water was cold, and
B - why everyone was fighting at the start when the race was so long. The helicopter swooped overhead and we were off.

In the end I did a very wayward swim which took over 47 minutes. The main event, the cycle, started with a long downhill section and I was glad to have put on the arm warmers and jersey but I didn't really need them for warmth. The climb of the Col Grande Serre was the first shock. This was a mammoth climb that seemed to go on for ever. I spotted more than one rider taking a rest before the event had really even got going. At this stage I just began to fear the worst and thought there was no way I was going to make it to the finish line if we had three climbs like this one to beat. I decided to keep the effort low and take on plenty of food and water. I passed, then was passed, by James Eastwood a few times but other than that spent my time looking at the spectacular views and chatting to other competitors.
The col d'Ornon proved to be a breath of fresh air. The climb was shallower but manageable and enjoyable. I began to believe I would be there at the finish.The best moment was meeting my family in the village at the foot of ADH. I stopped for a chat and a drink and also left my jersey, arm warmers and cap behind.

When the climb of the ADH started for real it was clear this was going to be a question of mind over matter. I picked my lowest gear and got my head down.
Disaster struck at bend 17 (of 21 counted form 21 down). Along the route were waterfalls cascading down the mountainside. I had managed to pour some energy drink over my head ( by accident) so thought reaching for the mountain water would be cleanisng and refreshing. I reached out, reached a little more, then a little more but I just couldn't reach the water. As I stretched out my left hamstring locked up and I had to leap from the bike to stretch it out.

The rest of the climb was spent managing this cramp, I just wanted to finish. As the climb went on I felt easier and easier and finally passed James within sight of the finish.He was suffering with a painful knee and wished me luck on the run he wasn't going to be able to tackle. I had been on the bike for 6hrs 18mins.

The three loops of ADH provided a sting in the tail as the altitude and rough terrain conspired to make the going tough. I promised myself I would run the first lap and then see how things were but soon after starting I noticed people walking.
I felt relieved and kept my promise to run the first lap but thereafter walked some of the uphill section and enjoyed the stunning scenery. I found it a great excuse to myself to do this ( and walk) rather than not enjoy the event and run,hence the run time of 2hrs 20.The selection of foods at the aid stations also proved a massive distraction as did the toilet block which had a cold tap that I couldn't resist putting my head under. I found myself chatting to the crowds more and more but by lap three decided to get a move on. In the final straight I outsprinted a nice woman from the Wrecsam Tri club on the request of my South wales colleague Lisa -- sorry Kay.Just to show I was fighting fit.

At the finish Lisa and Rob provided me with a great welcome as the other team members had headed for the bath by this time. Rob also took me and my bike back down the mountain, a great act of generosity that I definitely owe him a pint for.

I had wanted to cycle back down ADH and in my post-race euphoria probably would have but I also had all of my kit ( wetsuit etc) to take back. Lisa's advice not to cycle and Rob's lift provided a safe and relaxing end to my day.

There were many battered bodies at the finish I am glad to report that mine was not one of them.

No comments: