Friday 13 August 2010

Lyndon's story






The setting was amazing - arriving in Bourg d'Oisans a on the Saturday before the race was great an enabled me to soak up the atmosphere and make a few trips up to Alpe d'Huez. This included a ride up early on the monday morning with very light traffic, I only saw 3 other cyclists (plus a guy slogging up on roller-blades!) As a big cycling fan I felt like a pilgrim!

The lake was beautiful - didn't feel cold at all. It was the cleanest open water I have ever swam in, and possibly cleaner than a lot of pools I've been in as well. I knew the swim was going to be a matter of just surviving for me. Survive I did, exiting the water in about 45 minutes. Did my usual trick of falling over whilst trying to remove my wetsuit in T1.


The start of the bike leg was just great - 25km of fast roads in a large group with little regard for the drafting rules. It was impossible not to draft on account of the numbers and the fact that the road was still open. I underestimated the time and effort if would take to climb Col Grand Serre - I felt great and must have passed more than 100 riders on that climb - but would pay for the fuel spent later on. I felt good throughout the second climb as well, but on the approach to Alpe d'Huez climb felt the first twinges of cramp in my quads - never a good sign. The climb up to Alpe d'Huez was an exercise in nursing my tired muscles to the top. I could only apply the slightest pressure to the pedals. I thought I would have a dig after hairpin 5 - the result being massive cramps in both legs meaning a dismount at hairpin 4 to stretch. At this point all thoughts of setting a good time went out the window and my mindset changed to focussing on simply finishing. I got going again with a push from some spectators and managed to get to the top.

The run was a question of survival, i.e. not cramping. The food on the run was great and after throwing down all sorts the cramps began to improve. Got over-ambitious and had another big cramp on the downhill run on the first lap. Thankfully it was the last big one of the day - more banana and salty crisps seemed to fix things. Liked the fact that it was 3 laps, rather than one big loop, it made it easier from a mental perspective. Was so glad to see the finish - managed to get in just under 8 hours.
Already thinking about next year, wondering what it would be like if I can avoid cramping up.

No comments: