Tuesday 5 May 2009

King of the Downs


As part of my preparation for the UK Ironman in August I have entered the mother of all cycling sportives. The Evans Cylces King of the North Downs takes in ten climbs over 112 miles on May 17th so I ventured out last weekend to try and ready myself.
The sportive takes in two loops either side of Crawley so I decided to do the western loop.
Seven hills and 54 miles later I emerged pretty well unscathed if a bit tired. The scarier stats included on my Garmin GPS device readout (Birmingham Optical Group supplied the Garmins for last year's Optician Ironman Team) included.
Calores burned 5,300
7,000ft of climbing
Max speed 48.7mph. And yes I did start braking, that feels fast on a bike.
The best part was the scenery. It was a glorious morning and my ride took me up Leith Hill and Box Hill, past Ranmore Church and down towards Ewhurst. The bluebells were out in the woods ad the birds were singing. It didn';t stop me cursing the hills on the way up though.
Monday morning legs feel fine. bring it on.

No comments: