Monday 30 June 2008

Andy's Day




My race went pretty much as planned. The swim was 'an experience' to say the least; 900 swimmers thrashing off into the fog must have been some sight!
I've never been in such a mass start before and i can see why they call it the ' washing machine'. It was such a s@@t fight where i was that i actually got the hysterical giggles at one point!. I got calf cramps in the last 10mins; that's pretty normal for my Oly OW swims because i'm a leg dragger so i just have to ignore it and it goes away eventually. I followed James out of T1 (dont think he saw me; i certainly didn't see him again until he appeared at the side of the run course!)

I had hoped that the bike was overrated (hill wise), unfortunately i was disappointed, however the fast flat bits more than made up for the grinding hills after wilsons farm. I especially liked the fast descent with the 'no overtaking' section; gained lots of places there (i'm a bit of a crash test dummy on the bike!). Went a bit mad on the gels (never could resist anything free) and actually thought that i was going to see them all again at one point!

The run was a bit more of a slog than i would have liked; The hills were a lot less severe than i'm used to and i hadn't intended to speed walk them but quad cramps meant that i didn't dare push too much, so i just paced it to get under my 7h target. I accidentally left T2 with my cycle top still on, over my tri top but managed to offload it after the first lap.

No comments: