Tuesday 1 July 2008

Lyndon's log


The swim went about as well as I could have hoped. This first 5 minutes were horrible and seemed to last for what seemed like hours. With hindsight I guess nothing can prepare you for your first open water mass start on that scale. Once I was through the fog and found a bit more personal space I managed to get into a rhythm and with the adrenalin pumping I suddenly found myself at the first turn. I put my head down and finally emerged after about 37 minutes. My old friend adrenalin got me up the hill to T1 where I promptly fell over trying to remove my wetsuit. Out onto the bike course. The first few miles were spent recovering from the swim. I was starting to feel pretty strong when a puncture to my rear tyre ended my race after about 15 miles.

I was very disappointed but learnt a valuable lesson. Looking back I was really pleased with my swim and it has given me confidence for the next event (I have to do another one now!).


No comments: