Friday 27 June 2008

Emma's story



One of the first things that strikes me at BIG events like this is the preparation and planning. The Saturday Racking and Expo got to me in a way that made me both really excited AND really nervous. And then on race day it's the little things that make the difference - the commentator telling us all to make sure the chip is on our left leg so if the velcro comes loose it won't get caught in your chain - I'd NEVER have thought of that! Then chatting to everyone on the way down to the lake. SWIM: Wonderful. Perfect - could quite happily have done another two laps of that instead of the bike! The water was cool, but only until the layer under my wetsuit warmed it up and the only mild panic I had was when I looked up to realise I was veering off to the right a bit, but the mist had come down so it looked really eerie. Got myself back on course then followed everyone else since I had nothing to 'sight' on. It was great as it meant I kept my head down and swum without having to look up! T1 - saw Fiona but didn't have the lungs to get her attention, but then I was stripped of my wetsuit by a lovely lady who then went through my bag helping me dress! Realised I'd left my gloves in my helmet in the cottage....... still got on the bike and wobbled over the mount line into a patch of stinging nettles. The stings only started annoying me on Monday! BIKE.: UGH!!!! I knew what was in store, and took it easy up the hill, then hit that first short sharp one and thought "what on EARTH am I doing?". But just kept the gears low to start with and did what I could. Everyone went past me, but I tried to switch off to them and ride my own ride. Walked up the big hills (wilsons farm & the 14%-er) with #355 - a lovely girl called Lisa - then heard the cheering at the top of Haddon Hill, where I knew my family were going to be. Saw the banner and got out of the saddle to get to the top, then had a little emotional cry! That was when the hail struck. 2nd lap was tougher but I thought I was doing OK. then just after the 14%-er I realised I'd ruined the left cleat on my shoe on the tarmac - it wouldn't clip in for the rest of the lap which made standing up impossible. Then just after the causeway my chain came off at the bottom of the hill. I charged down to the dismount line, saw the marshals and realised I'd missed it. They told me it was by 5 mins. I was absolutely gutted. Ultimately I still did a LOT more than most other people in my address book would even attempt, so I have to be proud of that! Final thoughts: Its been emotional......! What's next? Well, I'm off to the gym now - London Oly tri in 5 1/2 weeks so started speedwork training & WeightWatchers again! Will let you know how I get on. I'll do the distance again, but not one that hilly, so it hasn't scared me off for good. I'll come and support next year!

No comments: