Friday 20 July 2012

Hooray for...err Box Hill

I've tried my best not to be cynical about the Olympics but last night I was tipped over the edge. With a Box Hill training ride cum Vision Aid Overseas cheque presentation looming next Tuesday I thought I would check out the Hill before mapping a course. I'm lucky enough to be able to commute via Box Hill so went home that way last night. A few of the Transitions team riders have agreed to ride next Tuesday but with the road due to close on Wednesday I thought it was worth a look. I have to say the whole scene was a cross between Glastonbury and Guantanamo Bay. Box Hill is still a scene of natural beauty but one with an awful lot of metal barriers, mud and marquees on it. The zig zag itself was still clear and undoubtedly a great place to watch a bike race from. If that's due for the barrier treatment it would be a real shame. Whether sepctators on Box HIll will get the Tour de France experience seen by Wiggins in the mountains recently I'm not so sure. Either way the SBR team will be riding that baby bum-smoooth tarmac before the pros, spectators are always welcome.

No comments: