Tuesday 21 June 2011

Keep your eyes on the road

Suffered a salutory lesson this morning on the ride into work.

While waiting at some traffic lights I noticed a women in a Range Rover engrossed in her texting. The lights changed and the van in front of me pulled away, I pulled away and looked across to see if she had noticed the lights change -- she hadn't. Ha ha, I thought typical 4x4 driver on the phone.
I looked round just in time (not) to notice that the van in fron of me had slammed its brakes on so I slammed into the back of it, chin first.
The impact was hard enough to bend my brakes and handlebars and lock the brakes but not loud enough, apparently, for the van driver to notice and he sped off while I nursed my sore chin and got my bike back in working order. Thanks Interior Design. The rest of the cars manoeuvered around me but a girl crossing the road took the time to ask me if I was OK.

Self inflicted that one, but I think I have to take responsibility for it. No major damage obvious but my jaw is a bit on the sore side.
Today's lesson - don't be a smug git, just watch the road.

No comments: