Tuesday 1 February 2011

Turboman

I've never been a massive fan of indoor training, the gym is still a mystery to me. The only time I have ever used a treadmill was when I went to buy a pair of trainers.
So just how I managed to be in a turbo trainer cycle-off with my son I can't imagine. Needless to say after a bit of banter I decided to challenge him to a " who can cycle 10 miles( on the turbo trainer) fastest".

As I can beat him on the road I thought nothing of it and climbed aboard. The first piece of advice he offered me was, " you won't need that jacket on and...oh, I'd get yourself some water if I was you.' I should have smelled a rat.

He had claimed to have done the 10 miles in 26 minutes so I naturally assumed he was lying and had done closer to 36. I decided to go for the neat 30 minutes. After 10 minutes of holding 20mph I was dying of heat exhaustion and my heart was thumping like a drum. As the sweat poured off me I took it up to 30mph but there was no way I could keep it there. I finally did my 10 in 30 minutes but I was knackered.

Then on climbed junior and off he went, straight up to 26mph with the turbo whirring like a banshee. I wondered off to recover and I heard the whine fall and assumed he was flagging .But no, off he went again, and again. He finally called me in to show off his time. 26 minutes for the 10 miles.

I think I may have to adopt a different strategy when the return match arrives or admit that with me at 48 and him at 16 ( next month) the balance of nature has tipped too far in his favour.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I ride a Blackburn tech fluid trainer, what bike trainer do you ride? I imagine that his recovery time is a little better too. I only say that because I used to do about 16 sets per large bodypart when lifting and I now do about 2 (but still feel like I get a really good workout).

Chris Bennett said...

It's some kind of Pretty basic Tacx turbo.

Unknown said...

Some great insights here. optical laboratory glasgow