Tuesday 11 January 2011

Lens anorak gets new sports frame

Norville recently sent me the results of a project it has been working on to provide Rx lenses for the nannini Swing sports frame. The project may not result in a product for sale but the results are interesting from an optical lens manufacturing proint of view. Having been given the opportunity to try the results I thought I would share my good fortune and give my view.

The manufacture of sports lenses for the swing frame requires notching at both sides and reccessing around the top edge of the lens to allow it to sit inside the frame with what looks like an intentional ventillation gap.
The result of Norville's work is a pleasing, if somewhat 'engineered' look which provides a kind of Caterham 7 rather than Audi TT appeal to lovers of sports eyewear. Swapping the lenses was surprisingly simple despite the technical look.
I've been itching to get out on the bike to try the frame and when the sun finally shone on Sunday I found the frame and the original (brown) sun lenses to be effective. The gap above the frame helps air flow through helping to keep the lenses mist free on cold days.
Further intrigue followed at the weekedn when some yellow lenses arrived in the post ready to pop into the frame. The accompanying letter explained that the lenses were Transitions Gold and the first to be prescription sports glazed in Europe. Unactivated they have a yellow/gold tint and the compensated Rx glazed in makes them very easy to wear, they are very light enhancing,. Not too sure what they will transition into though.


Physically they form a snugger fit to the frame than the sun lenses while still leaving a small airgap so they should perform the same on the anti-fog front.
These look like the kind of lenses you would want to wear on a dull misty day. I don't think I will have to wait so long for one of those as I did for a sunny day. When I have tested them in anger on the bike I will report back.

No comments: