Friday 7 March 2008

Optician's Editor joins the fray

Chris Bennett


I have always ridden a bike to work, college or school but was never attracted to competitive sport. Over the years I have dabbled in various sports, played on school teams, but never really got seriously involved. More recently I have windsurfed, canoed, gone walking, played in a dad's football team and gone for the odd Sunday run.
It wasn't until last year when Optician magazine got involved in the Transitions Oakley Ironman project that I took an interest. I eventually shadowed the Oakley Transitions Ironman Team and took part in the Monaco Ironman 70.3.
To do this I followed a tough training regime which culminated in around 15 hours of training a week. In the run up to Monaco I ran the Surrey Slog off road half marathon and after completing Monaco I did a short triathlon in Crawley and ran a half marathon this February.
At 45 years old I still feel like a novice (I have probably ran the half marathon distance a total of six times in my life) but there's an annoying idea out there that just because you have completed something like a Ironman 70.3 you can do as many as you like easily. Not so.
This year I will be competing in the Florida Ironman 70.3 in May and the UK Ironman 70.3 in June with the Optician team. This is a big a challenge this year as Monaco was last year. The prospect is something which both excites and scares me.

No comments: