Wednesday 22 August 2007

WHAT A JOURNEY …….OAKLEY TRANSITIONS AND LYCRA




Conquering some fears:

Swimming in open water wearing a wetsuit in the freezing cold, or in the choppy sea and dirty lakes.
Learning to spot so that it’s possible to go in the correct direct whilst literally tasting both the salt water of the sea and the muddy water whist swimming in the UK lakes!

So many lessons for cycling:

From: what to wear (shorts too padded, not padded enough), Nutrition before, during and after training, what to drink (can be as simple as 100%pure apple juice with water and a pinch of salt).
To: how to assemble, set up and maintain bikes (and break them………managed to snap a rear derailleur) but also hours and hours of sitting on a bicycle up crazy hills with gradients of up to 25% and down steep hills judging when to break.




The running I thought would be ok but trying to run after cycling for 3-4 hours is like having legs that feel as though they belong to someone else, and that they are also in control of these legs.

The UK weather always presents a challenge for the intense training: -frost, rain and also the blazing heat of Monaco, not forgetting the high winds of Futurventura. These are all factors that have to be overcome to dig up that motivation. Oakley Transitions Half Jackets satisfies nearly all of such weather conditions. The rain it seems is still difficult one.




Already I have reached limits of training that I didn’t know I was capable of and I cannot believe. I also feel as though I have someone else’s body (and I think my Husband thinks that too) with muscles that I never knew I had but also sooo many clothes that don’t fit!

And finally one fear and probably the most intimidating of all is ‘the triathlon race suit’…….bright blue ‘spandex’ looking babygrow! An old Gentleman was awaiting his eye examination today as the lycra race gear arrived at work, all I can say is …he was smiling!



1 comment:

Chris Bennett said...

I haven't had my kit delievered yet but I guess I wouldn't be using it much in this weather.

Chris