Friday 17 December 2010

adidas Evil Eye half rim on test



I sight never seen before, Chris Bennett on a mountain bike. The event was the launch of the adidas Evil Eye half rim and the venue Cannock Chase. If there was ever a day designed to test out active prescription eyewear this day was it.
the morning started with the rain pouring down. While the party huddled inside out of the rain the product was presented and a talk given on vision in mountain biking.
Both were interesting and whetted the apetite for what was to follow.
As we headed out on the bikes the weather monetarily cleared up to be followed by colder air and bright sun.
After lunch an elite group of riders headed back out to the Follow the Dog trail and driving snow. Along with the variable light conditions the lenses had to cope with mud, steam and snow. They performed very well and the products tested, only prototypes, did very well. I was wearing a prescription insert behind the lenses that did trap a little moisture but all in all the ventillation system seemed to work quite well. During the heaviest of the snow I had to wipe the lens of flakes and mud but the proof of the pudding was that the product stayed on all the way round.
The mountain biking itself was pretty much a new experience for me. The hired bike was a natty looking Orange five, in bright green, and the suspension seemed to soak up everything the terrain could throw at it.
There were a couple of points along the trail I thought: surely you can't cycle down that, but you could and mostly, I did.
The day remained largely injury free. I had a bit of a tangle with a branch lying along the side of the path that grabbed my shin and I also whacked into a tree hard enough to slightly wind myself but all in all an enjoyable day was had by all.
All good for the road fitness. If only it would stop snowing.

No comments: